Congratulations on your engagement. We know you have a lot to do and we are here to help. We have put together the ultimate checklist to help you plan your wedding. This is based on a 12-month timeline. Be sure to check out additional tasks based on your tradition.
First things first, enjoy your engagement. Bask in the love and be sure to enjoy the quiet moments with your spouse to be.
12- 6 months out
- Determine the budget for the wedding and how expenses will be split among families.
- Set a date for the Introduction (“momi mo e” in Yoruba, “iku aka” in Igbo)
- Obtain the bride price list
- Search and reserve a venue and date for the traditional wedding
- Start your guest list.
- Choose your bridal party
- Select a wedding planner if you need one.
****Note: Most wedding planners do both traditional and White wedding. You will probably get a better deal using the same planner
- Search and reserve a venue and date for the white wedding
- Choose a colour and theme for the white wedding and start thinking about the overall design
- Choose a colour for the traditional wedding
- Select a fabric for the bride and grooms’ outfit
- Start shopping for dresses
6- 3 months out
- Book a designer/tailor to make the bride and grooms traditional outfit
- Choose and purchase aso-ebi for the bridal party and guests
- Book a designer/tailor to make the bride and grooms white outfit
- Book a designer for the bridal party
- Meet with the wedding officiants.
- ***Note: some churches require you take classes, so you want to do this early
3- 1 month out
- Send wedding invitation
- Book hotel
- Do court wedding at local registry office if your church is not licensed
- Buy gifts for bridal party
- Give the song selections to your band or DJ.
- Make arrangement for transportation and accommodation
- Select songs for the wedding ceremony
- Purchase items on Bride Price List
1 month out
- Have the vendors meeting
- Get a spa treatment (Nails, hair and eyebrows done)
- Final dress fitting
- Decide who will pick up the money at the wedding
- Make sure to rest before the wedding
Download the checklist here
This page contains affiliate links to products I recommend. If you purchase something from this page, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you.